The 1:60 Rule – RESET to Hit Your Goals
“If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.”– Lao Tzu
The 1:60 Rule is a navigation shortcut from the aviation world. Simply put, if a plane’s heading is off by 1 degree, after 60 nautical miles (nm) the aircraft will be a mile off-course. Not a big deal if you’re cruising above the great plains. But, that difference can be life or death if you’re threading the Andes mountains en route to Santiago. (Yes, I just watched the trailer to Alive.)
Bottom line, small errors pile up over time and distance. If you ended January a little behind on your goals, you may find yourself needing a substantial course correction to get back on track today. A framework we’ve shared in The ONE Thing Planner and training is the Mid-Year RESET.
First things first, don’t beat yourself up if you’re behind. I interviewed over a dozen top teams in the past few weeks. Virtually every team is behind their 2022 production or just matching it. Still, no one had declared defeat. And just as important, they were keeping true to their original goals. They weren’t changing the numbers just because the year has been challenging. Keeping your goal allows you to ask big questions of yourself and your team. Whatever you do, don’t lower the goal so you can say you hit it. It’s in tough times that we discover what we’re capable of and find our breakthroughs.
A RESET is a five-step process to assess your progress and correct course. All you need are your goals, your current progress, and about 30 minutes.
- Reflect – What did you set out to accomplish? How are you doing? How do you feel about that? Why was the goal important in the first place?
- Evaluate – What’s the gap? What will it take to close the gap and hit your goal? For real estate professionals, summer is the prime selling season. If you’re more than a little behind, you will likely have to act aggressively to get enough deals in the pipeline that will close this year to hit your goal.
- Simplify – What can you stop doing to free up time and resources for the big push? What are the things that if you stopped doing them no one would notice? Maybe you don’t need to be exploring the new Threads app right now. This step is wildly underrated. Your schedule is overdue for a manicure.
- Establish – What’s the one activity you will commit to that can get you to your goal? Will you sign up for BOLD and get accountability? Will you rally the team around a giveaway event?
- Time Block – Once you decide, go to your calendar and time block your new commitments. Cancel everything that gets in the way.
You still have 24 weeks left in 2023. When you really focus, you’ll be amazed at what you can accomplish.
One question to ponder in your thinking time: Who do I have to become for my goal to be the natural byproduct of my life?
Make an Impact!